Monday 23 May 2011

Seperating from GW

In the war gaming world, Games Workshop have managed to get themselves a lot of publicity for doing what they do best, putting their prices up.

In some ways it can even be seen as an annual event by GW, one that gets us annoyed every time and yet we still keep buying the stuff.

This time, I think they might have gone too far. Pulling a large chunk of the metal line and returning it as resin is ok, but coupling it with a price rise on all the mini's when they are nothing more than the same model in a different material is a bit much. On top of that, a wide ranging price hike on the plastic minitures, as much as 20% in some cases, is that last straw.



Looking at my armies, stepping away from GW stuff is a highly sensible thing to do.

I've got a 1000pt Tau force, and thats where it will stick. While I like the army, the things I need to do to boost it beyond 1000pts would require more Crisis Suits, and frankly I don't like the look of the generic ones. Had I the money, I'd have gone with the Forgeworld ones.

I've 2500pts of Space Marines, with very little I really need to round out the army. A Razorback, Attack Bike, Landspeeder and another box of Assault Marines would be nice, but not vital.

For my Dark Eldar, I'm going to have to buy some odds and ends before the price rise. I have a lot of the old miniatures, and while they don't look as cool as the new ones, with some converting I'm sure I can get them looking good. To do that I'll need a box of the new Warriors, and a Raider.

Once I've ordered the Warrior and Raider box before the end of the month, I think that'll be the last major GW purchase I'll be making for a while. I'll allow myself the occasional character model if they are awesome and are at a decent price.

Where do I go with my gaming from here? Well I think its time to break out the Warmachine and Hordes again and see who I can tempt to join me :)

1 comment:

  1. Games Workshop are the Evil Empire.

    Join the Rebel Alliance!

    ReplyDelete