Friday 23 September 2011

Random Miniatures Post

I find it very easy to get distracted by all the shiny miniatures that are out there. As my wife can attest, I have many boxes of unpainted lead that I've bought in the past on a whim. At the moment I'm trying very hard to only buy and then paint, miniatures I'm going to use. This is why I'm mainly painting Warmachine and Hordes stuff, but I have just bought some Dinosaurs for an upcoming D&D game I'm playing in.

In a move that slightly broke my own promise not to buy any more Games Workshop miniatures, I've now got a Wood Elf Spellweaver being prepared for undercoating. In this case the miniature isn't for me, its for Cathy to paint.

As long as my brother's health allows, I'm hopefully going to be holding a small group painting session with him, his girlfriend and Cathy in an attempt for me to spread my wealth of painting knowledge.

So, Cathy will be painting the Spellweaver (shown to the left), Kate will be painting Demonettes of Slanesh, and Alan will be putting paint onto his new Retribution of Scarah miniatures. For my efforts, I'm going to be painting some of my Menoth army.

The Spellweaver is one of the infamous Fine Cast miniatures, and the first one I've had the chance to get my hands on. In the store I did have to go through the rack to pick one without an obvious blemish, but even then this one has a bubble under the cloak. I have to say, I'm not impressed by the general condition of the miniature, its taken a lot more cleaning up that a metal miniature would, and much of it in annoying curved sections. I could put up with that, if I wasn't paying over £10 for the pleasure. I bought a solid metal dinosaur for less! Generally, not encouraging me to buy any more Fine Cast.



Steel Warriors

A while back, I mentioned that Mantic Games were going to make a Sci-Fi game. Now, I've been a fan of Mantic for a while, they do nice sculpts at reasonable prices. I've just not been in the market for a fantasy army recently. Well, now there are some pictures of the Forge Fathers (Dwarfs in space) faction. 
 
Forge Father Hero
Unfortunately, I'm finding myself rather apathetic towards the rank and file miniatures shown so far. The Steel Warriors (on the left) simply lack character in my opinion. Which is a shame because the hero miniature (to the right) simply oozes it. In fact both of the heroes do (the Marauder Warlord to the left) are great miniatures, full of energy and character. The Marauder is a great re-imagining of an orc, a lot more feral and imposing than GW's.
Marauder Warlord

I imagine I'll grab the heroes at some point for painting, but I can't see myself investing any further, unless the later releases prove to me amazing, or usable in other armies.

Moving on to Privateer Press, they've posted pictures of the first Hordes Battle Engine, the Celestial Fulcrum for the Circle of Orboros faction. Click the link and take a look at the 360 degree view, as its an amazing miniature. Almost makes me want to start a Circle army just for that mini alone! I hope that this means the others will be just as awesome. October sees Hordes: Domination released, where we'll finally get to see what these Battle Engines do.
 
I was going to post a few pictures of what I've been working on, but unfortunately Blogger is not letting me, so that'll have to wait for another entry, perhaps tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment