Saturday 4 June 2011

More GW Commentry, plus Mantic Games and PP.

I'm going to try and make this the last post I make about GWs recent price rises and move to resin.  I think I've made my peace with it all, and am going to look forward to trying to convert more people to play Warmachine/Hordes and be thankful that I have a number of usable GW armies should I want them.



This video has been recorded by a Canadian store owner, which I think is the most sensible and leveled response to GW's recent activities I've seen so far.

While it is primarily from a business point of view, it does make some serious points. GW needs to embrace a more modern business approach in order to stay relevant. I love the GW IP, I think they have some amazing miniatures and I enjoy playing their games. However, they are slowly eroding what loyalty players have with silly PR mistakes.



I was watching Beasts of War's video cast Turn 8, and they had the guy who owns Mantic Games on, and they were talking about their move from metal to resin in some of their lines. Mantic managed to double the number of miniatures in a box, and kept the price the same! When you hear things like that, you really do wonder what the hell GW are up to. Are the GW stores, something that is a unique thing about GW, going to start being a liability as their prices are forced to support the stores, that may not be as relevant as they used to be.

Interestingly, Mantic have announced that they are going to be producing a Sci-Fi themed wargame this year. If you haven't heard of Mantic Games, they have been producing high quality 28mm fantasy miniatures for the last couple of years now. Their sales philosophy seems to be to pack as many miniatures into a box as they can, and sell it as cheap as they can, and yet the quality of sculpts have been excellent. They've recently released a board game using their miniatures which I hope to get a look at at the Games Expo tomorrow. The fantasy rules they've produced are free from their website, and look nice and simple, yet with plenty of scope.
So anyway, in light of their previous product, I'll be very interested to see what their Sci-Fi based game will be like. If nothing else, it may give me something to do with all my 40K miniatures that isn't 40K! As with Kings of War (the fantasy rules) they will be making them available for free, and it you sign up for a BackStage membership of Beasts of War, you can get in on the Alpha testing of them.

While I've been waiting for my big box of GW models to arrive, I've pulled out my Warmachine and Hordes stuff to remind myself how much random mini's I actually have. Seems I've managed to collect some nice solo's, but I'm lacking units for most forces, and different warcasters for veriaty. I have a bit of spare cash, so I may well be rectifying that tomorrow.
On the bright side though. I technically have a 15pt force for Cryx, and my battle box for Skorne all painted, and quite a few mini's partly done. Time to remember what colours I was using!

No comments:

Post a Comment