Wednesday 29 June 2011

Warmachine and Hordes, Getting Started

After a short delay, due to illness, I continue my Warmachine/Hordes series.

If my other posts have peaked your interest in starting either Warmachine and/or Hordes, then I'm sure you are asking, what do I need? Well, time to answer your questions!


One of the reasons Warmachine/Hordes is considered cheaper than Warhammer/40K is that the initial buy in cost is some much lower.

Each faction (except Retribution I'm afraid) for both Warmachine and Hordes has a Battle Box starter. Inside comes between 3 and 5 models (depending on the faction), the relevant stat cards for them, and a set of quick start rules. The Battle Boxes will give you between a 11 and 14 point army, again depending upon the faction, and these units can very easily go on to form the core of your army.

As each box comes with the starter rules, you don't need to immediately get the rule book. The start rules will be enough to allow you to play your first few games and get a handle on the basic rules. Saying that, before you purchase your next model, I do suggest you at least reading through a copy of the rules. The core rule book is an excellent resource as it not only contains all the rules, but also the core units for the main 4 factions all have write-ups and stats, as well as a section on painting. As well as all that, you get some excellent fiction to give you a feel of the setting.

Once you've settled on a faction, then getting the relevant faction book is the next step. These contain write ups for every model in that faction up to those released for Wrath. They also include a decent fluff section and tier army lists (build you army in a certain way and get bonuses) for each of the Warcasters. Again, they also have a decent painting section, and a miniature showcase of each of the miniatures. If you skip buying the rule book, I strongly advise you pick up the faction book. The only downside is that it doesn't include the mercenaries that can work for your faction, so if you are interested in any of them, then you'd need to pick up that faction book as well.

Lastly, there are the expansion books. The first one for Mark II rules was released recently for Warmachine called Wrath. These books expand on the story lines for each of the factions, as well as providing each faction with some new toys to play with. I wouldn't suggest these books for a beginner as you'll have enough to be reading with the faction book, but if you find yourself craving everything Warmachine, then I do recommend them.

You may also see around faction decks. These contain the stat cards for every model that was available when the Mark II rules were released. These are aimed at long term players who have Mark I cards and want to update them to Mark II. If you are starting new now, then every model you buy will already come with Mark II cards, meaning that these are a fun, but ultimately unnecessary purchase.

If you are wanting to paint your models in the official colour schemes, then take a look at the Privateer Press line of paints. They do a faction set for, as you may have guessed, all the factions except Retribution. They will include a base and highlight colour for the main colours of the faction. I've found them to be excellent, especially for the Menoth Red.

Right, that's enough for now. I think I've covered most of the bases on starting, but again if you have any questions you want answering, please just leave a comment here. Look out for a review of Wrath, as well as some picture of my Cryx and Skorne!

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking of getting some more Warmachine stuff. I've not really played the game, I just liked the Khador models. I was looking at some of the new plastic warjacks and they seem really easy to magnetize the weapon arms so you can use one model for a variety for Warjacks which is great.

    I'm really enjoying this series of articles by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new plastic warjacks look really easy to magnetise. There are a number of how-to's on the Privateer Press forums. I certainly will be when I get mine.

    ReplyDelete