Thursday 26 January 2012

Painting 2012

I've finally picked up the paint brush again!

I've always found winter to be a tough time to paint, the light isn't good and the weather is usually terrible for undercoating anything. As a result, I haven't done much painting since before Christmas.

However, as traditional for the New Year, I'm setting myself some goals. My primary one is to get painted a 15 point army for each of my Warmachine and Hordes factions. In addition, I'm trying to use just what I have, rather than go spending more money.

Cryx
I've already got a 15pt Cryx army painted, but I have enough miniatures (painted and otherwise) to put together a second force, this time under Iron Lich Asphyxious.

Iron Lich Asphyxious (*6pts)
* Cankerworm (5pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
* Nightwretch (4pts)
Bane Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)


The only things left to paint in this list are the Bane Thralls, and 50% of the Cankerworm. 


Menoth
As I'm likely to play against an Exemplar themed Menoth force, I decided to go in a different direction. This list, in principle, also meets the Harbinger's theme force, but at the moment that gives very little benefits.


Harbinger of Menoth (*5pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Crusader (6pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
* Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)
Paladin of the Order of the Wall (2pts)

The only miniature painted so far for this list is the Paladin, and part of the Choir. In fact, I'm having a lot of trouble painting the scheme on the warjacks. I've stripped the Crusader down about 3 times now, and having to do so again. I'm also "enjoying" putting together the Harbinger model. I need to pin it a ridiculous amount, but so far they keep breaking when I attempt the next part. A challenge!

Skorne
Personally, I fell in love with Skorne with the Titan model. Therefore, it makes sense to go beast heavy and run Morghoul out of the battle box.


Master Tormentor Morghoul (*7pts)
* Cyclops Savage (5pts)
* Cyclops Savage (5pts)
* Titan Gladiator (8pts)
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Bloodrunner Master Tormentor (2pts)

Now I run the problem that I painted the battle box models one way, and have since "improved" my painting techniques. The Beast Handlers are half painted, but I'm not happy with how I'm painting them now, so I may have to strip them back and start again.


Legion
This force is going to be quite light on models, mainly because I own a lot of the medium based stuff for it. This force also is tier 1, but again the benefits don't kick in at this level.

Thagrosh, Prophet of Everblight (*5pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Carnivean (11pts)
Blighted Ogrun Warmongers (Leader and 2 Grunts) (5pts)


The skin tone of the warbeasts has been a problem for me, but I hope another attempt with more confidence will soon get that sorted. Two of the Warmongers are already painted, with the 3rd on its way to being done. I'm actually starting to paint Lylyth first, as she was already undercoated, but Thagrosh is ready to be undercoated.



I shall post some pictures later, I'm not 100% sure where the camera is, and work is beckoning.

My other painting plan for the year is to finally finish off my 40K armies, but more on them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment