Saturday 23 March 2013

Easter Warmahordes - The Armies

A new year, and a new set of Bank Holidays for playing Warmahordes over!

This year, we move up from 15pts to 25pts, and also start using the Steamroller 2013 scenarios rather than the ones in the core book.
To ease us in, we are only going to use 4 of the scenarios, Destruction, Incursion, Outflank and Process of Elimination. We’ll also be aiming for a 2 list format with character restrictions. No timed turns though, we aren’t quite ready for that!

We are now only a week away, so I thought I'd talk a bit about what I considered taking, to give an idea behind my list building.
Firstly, I want to take as much painted models as possible, so that practically that limits it to either Skorne or Cryx. I simply don't have the amount painted to manage one 25pt list for either Menoth or Legion, although Menoth isn't far off.

My 4 opponents are going to be Cygnar, Menoth, Retribution and Circle. I know pretty much what the Retribution player will be taking, as I help with his lists, but I'm going to try not to have that effect my decisions too much.
First up, lets look at my Skorne options. I only have 3 Skorne Warlocks, and as 2 of them are already painted, that narrows down my choice quite nicely.

List 1
Master Tormentor Morghoul
* Cyclops Brute
* Cyclops Savage
* Bronzeback Titan
* Titan Gladiator
Paingiver Beast Handlers (Leader and 3 Grunts)
Agonizer
This is a nice beast heavy list, that should be able to wreck most things it comes up against. Downside, it have very little defensive abilities, depending on body mass alone to survive. An option is to drop the Cyclops Savage for some solos that may help, a Willbreaker, Master Tormenter and some Swamp Gobbers being my choices.With 3 of the 4 opponents being able to play a reasonable ranged list I may not make it to the zones before loosing something though.

List 2
Tyrant Xerxis
* Basilisk Krea
* Titan Gladiator
Cataphract Cetrati (Leader and 3 Grunts)
Praetorian Swordsmen (Leader and 5 Grunts)
* Praetorian Swordsmen Officer & Standard
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt)
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer
Here I’m attempting a Xerxis block, but I can’t seem to fit in everything I want. Note, no Beast Handlers, as I can’t afford them, and a heavy warbeast. Ironically, I don’t feel that I’d need them if I had a light warbeast, such as a Savage. Anyway, the plan is to slowly advance the 16 DEF, 24 ARM Cetrati up the field and see what can actually do anything to them. Good against ranged lists, but lacking in overall pace as everything would be stuck at the speed of the Cetrati.

Some interesting options, and certainly I like both lists. However, these two lists have a couple of big painting projects in, and I simply don't have enough time to complete them. If I'm to Play It Painted, as is my plan, then Skorne are off the table.

I have much more to choose from in Cryx, and much more painted, making list construction a bit more varied.

List 1
Warwitch Deneghra
* Deathripper
* Skarlock Thrall
Bane Thralls (Leader and 5 Grunts)
* Bane Thrall Officer & Standard
Bane Lord Tartarus
<9pt Focus Efficient Heavy>
+2pt Solo

This list is fun and uses many of the units I love in Cryx. Most of the list is Stealthed, meaning I should be able to advance reasonably safely, I have a heavy of some description (usually Seether) for heavy lifting duties, and weapon master infantry to make people cry. I have 2pts left for a solo, either Gorman (for even more debuffs), War Witch Siren (because) or a Bloat Thrall (for some range, and pie plates). Not yet sold on which to take yet.

List 2
Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast
* Deathripper
* Deathjack
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 5 Grunts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch
Pistol Wraith
Pistol Wraith
Satyxis Raider Captain

I love the synergy of this list! The Satyxis package is strong in most lists, but the additional Inspiration from Skarre tops it off. Pistol Wraiths and Black Spot go together amazingly, and Deathjack loves Seas of Fate, and acts as a bit of a Scarlock. I did consider swapping out the Deathripper for a Stalker, but the ability to throw Black Spot or Perdition at further range is too useful.

List 3
Asphyxious the Hellbringer
* Cankerworm
Mechanithralls (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Necrosurgeon & 3 Stitch Thralls
Revenant Crew (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Satyxis Raiders (Leader and 5 Grunts)
* Satyxis Raider Sea Witch
Captain Rengrave
Satyxis Raider Captain
Warwitch Siren 

A bit of a mixed list, but I just want to give Gaspy3 a shot. Cankerworm is a must, as with Gaspy he punches well above his weight. Satyxis love Ashen Veil, and a load of infantry to annoy the opponent. Not as tested as the other two lists though, and Gaspy3 would be a brand new caster to try.

Well, that's what I'm thinking, I'll report back once I've played a few games.

No comments:

Post a Comment